The DuMont Telecruiser
The Story
DuMont History
As Found
The Restoration
At the Body Shop
Equipment
TA-142 Camera
Interior
KBTV
Other Telecrisers
History Archive


We got some equipment with the bus, and a lot was donated as well.  The intent was to make this a working black and white TV mobile unit of the era.  It wasn't possible to return it to the way DuMont delivered it, but it was possible to make it more or less like it was in the 1960's.  Of course, if you know where there is a stash of unwanted DuMont equipment that needs a new home, I certainly want to know about it.  Please email me.


I found this DuMont Camera in a garage sale in Ft. Worth. 
The lead came from this web site!

It is missing the lens set.  I did get the power supply but the camera control unit (CCU) and several other components are missing.  Also missing are any cables, which were a proprietary DuMont design. Any further leads would be appreciated.


Here is what all the peripheral equipment for a DuMont Camera looks like.  If find some at the flea market, please let me know!


This Marconi MK-IV camera was one of three that WFAA used on the bus in its later years.  I got this camera head, three camera control units three power supplies, four camera cables and two sets of lenses.  This one can probably be made to work.  Since this web site was originally launched, I have found another MK-IV camera head.  It is in very rough condition, so I'm always looking for more cameras and/or parts.  Again, all leads are appreciated.  
Please 
Email me.


Here are some shots of things as we found them


Audio Patch bay and monitor speaker to the left.

Exterior audio and Telco panel.  Rust never sleeps....


Camera cables, Sync generator and Power Supply units for Marconi Cameras.  Also visible are some Conrac monitors, a GE audio board and, yes, that is a 1957 BMW Isetta.  That is yet another restoration project..

Marconi Camera Control Units for three cameras.

Conrac Monitors.

A VHF Conrac Off Air tuner is in the middle.  It is set to "Channel 8."

GE audio console that was used in the bus in the 1960's.  I worked at a station that had a slightly newer version of this thing.  It was terrible, but it was the first audio mixer I ever saw that used linear faders.  Rather than running audio through the faders, it used them to control a DC voltage that ran a "Raysistor."  The Raysistor was basically a light bulb and a photo cell glued together on each end of a cardboard tube.  The higher you moved the fader, the brighter the light bulb would get, which in turn raised the volume. It actually worked, but the problem was there was a definite time lag between raising the fader and the volume actually changing.  It was very easy to overshoot the mark. it was a bit like mixing with heavy gloves on that were connected to the controls with rubber bands. 

Yep, this is the main circuit breaker box.  In this picture it has been cleaned up from the way I found it.  It was a real rats nest of dried out and brittle wires.  When I got the bus, there was a book sitting next to it. It was one of those Reader's Digest Do-It-Yourself books titled "Home Wiring Made Easy." 

This is the equipment sub-panel which supplied power to the electronics. Below it are three large Variac Autotransformers that were used to make up for under or over voltage  conditions at remotes. That seems like a good idea, but the scary part is the terminals for the wiring are on the bottom of each unit and are completely exposed with 120 volts on them.  It would be easy to hit one with your hand or your knee if seated in a swivel chair.  Obviously, OSHA had not come on the scene in 1949.

A "manly size" power connector.

Houston Fearless Tripods.  We need more, as well as pan and tilt heads.